My husband is having dreams lately about being chased by bears. I’m having dreams of these apple-y, bacon-y, cheesy breakfast bites.
I’d say my dream life is winning right now.
If you haven’t noticed, breakfast is a big deal around here. There was a time in my tween years when I would skip breakfast or just eat one of those measly chocolate granola bars that are like 100 calories and I was always SO CRANKY in the mornings (this could also be attributed to the fact that I was a tween, but I think the non-breakfast-eating was a factor). Since then I’ve learned that the most important meal of the day needs to be a part of my life, and I’ve been trying to perfect it ever since.
You see, a bowl of cereal just won’t do it for me. And when I get really tired of peanut butter toast or oatmeal — my usual go-tos — I seek out more unique, yet filling, foods to swap in their place. Right now these apple-bacon cheddar mini breakfast pies are totally winning. Just like my dreams.
What I love about these lil’ bites is that they are a little sweet, a little salty, a little cheesy and full of protein and other goodies. I can make a batch, keep them in my freezer and pop a few in the microwave for an easy, balanced brekkie. They’ve been so popular betwixt me and the mister that I’m thinking of inventing Christmas Brunch at my parents’ house this year just so I can make these for everyone and make a big deal out of it. To make my life more exciting, you see.
Oh, and bonus! You can prep, cover and chill these Bisquick-based mini pies up to a day before baking them. But even if you don’t, they take like one nap’s length of time to make. And that means more time to wrap Christmas gifts, drink hot cocoa, deck the halls or, well, nap. A few of my favorite things this time of year (unless, of course, those naps consist of dreams about bears chasing you. In that case, I suggest skipping the nap and just drinking some coffee).
- ¾ lb bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1 cup peeled and chopped apple
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- ½ cup chopped white onion
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh sage
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup Original Bisquick® mix
- ½ cup milk
- 2 eggs
- Heat oven to 350°F. Lightly grease the cups of a 12-cup muffin pan with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, stir together bacon, apple, cheddar cheese, onion, sage and salt. In a separate medium bowl, stir together Bisquick, milk and eggs with a fork until well blended.
- Spoon scant tablespoonfuls of the Bisquick mixture into the bottom of each muffin cup. Top with about ¼ cup of bacon mixture. Top with remaining Bisquick mixture.
- Bake 20 to 30 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean and edges are golden. Cool 5 minutes in pan; transfer to a cooling rack to cool slightly before serving.
Disclosure: I received compensation from Bisquick for recipe development purposes. All opinions are my own.