What more is there to say about guacamole, really, except the following: THAT. YUM. GIMME.
The speech gets even fuzzier when this grilled pineapple and coconut guacamole is placed in front of me. In fact, I’ll probably skip talking altogether and go straight for the chips. Because when it comes to good guac, manners just get in the way.
So if you come to my house and guacamole is being served (which happens often), I hereby grant you the right to leave your elbows on the table, grab the chips and get to dipping straight into the bowl. As I will be doing samesies.
My husband is a guacamole purist: That is to say, he likes it smooth with nothing but cilantro, lime juice and salt. And that’s the end of that story. At least that’s what he thought when I told him I was making guacamole with grilled pineapple and coconut flakes in it… until he tried it.
And now he likes his guacamole two ways. *Victory lap for Steph*
On the other hand, I like my guacamole in a variety of forms and flavors, so this variation? I was allll about it. As was my mouth. Which devoured quite a bit of it.
What happens, exactly, when you combine creamy avocado with coconut milk, sweetened coconut flakes, juicy grilled pineapple (side note: GRILLED PINEAPPLE, GUYS/GALS. It’s a revelation and Imma eat it forever and ever and ever from this day forward), fresh lime juice, chopped jalapeno and red onion? Sweet heat, my friends. A.k.a., guacamole nirvana.
I was even going to tell you stories about how this past week has been. a. week. (except for our quick trip to the North Shore, which always restores my soul), but then I had this guacamole and it’s like it re-centered my life or something. Guacamole = finding your chi? Makes sense.
So if you’ve got a case of the Mondays, my professional advice is to get thee to a batch of this sweet and spicy guacamole, stat. Or you can come over here, because I’ve already got plans to make it again today. We can hang out and yes, absolutely talk with our mouths full.
- 2 large ripe avocados, mashed
- ½ cup diced grilled pineapple*
- ¼ cup diced red onion
- 2 tablespoons sweetened coconut flakes
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- ½ jalapeno pepper, seeded and diced
- 2 tablespoons light coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon lime juice (from about ½ lime)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Stir all ingredients in a bowl until combined, adjusting ingredients to taste. Serve with tortilla chips.
- *To grill the pineapple: Slice a whole pineapple into rings (see photo above). Heat the grill to medium and grease the grates with olive oil. Place a few rings on the greased grates and grill on each side about 4 minutes until grill marks appear. Remove from grill; dice and add to bowl.