- 1 lb lean (90/10) ground turkey
- 1/2 cup plain dry breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese, plus more for serving
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 2 cans (14.5 oz each) low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cans (14.5 oz each) diced tomatoes with juices
- 1 bunch kale, washed, tough stems removed and leaves coarsely chopped
- In large bowl, combine ground turkey, breadcrumbs, Parmesan cheese, garlic, egg, salt and pepper until well mixed. Shape into 1-tablespoon balls.
- Heat oil in large saucepan over medium heat. Add onions and cook, stirring often, 4 to 5 minutes until softened. Add broth and diced tomatoes. Bring to simmer over medium-high heat. Add meatballs and cook, without stirring, 5 minutes until meatballs float to surface.
- Add kale (in batches, if necessary) and stir very gently, being careful to disturb meatballs as little as possible (they are very tender). Cook 3 to 5 minutes more until kale is wilted and meatballs are cooked through. Thin soup with water, if needed, and season with more salt and pepper to taste. Serve sprinkled with cheese.