- 2 1/4 teaspoons (1 packet) instant yeast
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 1/2 cups warm water (about 110 to 115 degrees F)
- 2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for kneading
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 egg beaten with 1 teaspoon water (for egg wash)
- Pretzel salt or coarse sea salt, for sprinkling
- Heat oven to 425 degrees F. Spray 2 baking sheets with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl or bowl of a stand mixer, stir yeast, honey and warm water until combined. Let sit 5 to 10 minutes until mixture is foamy.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, whisk together flours and salt until combined. Add to yeast mixture (once foamy) along with oil. Stir, either with a wooden spoon or paddle attachment of stand mixer, just until a dough forms.
- On a lightly floured surface, knead dough by hand 5 minutes until smooth and pliable, OR, swap paddle attachment for dough hook attachment on stand mixer and knead dough on low speed 3 minutes until smooth and pliable.
- Divide dough in half. Roll each half into a long rope about 1 inch thick. Divide each rope into 8 pieces.
- Twist each piece of dough a few times, pinching edges to seal. Space twists 2 inches apart on prepared baking sheets. Brush each twist generously with egg wash, then sprinkle with pretzel salt.
- Bake 20 minutes until pretzels are golden brown and baked through.