This homemade Ambrosia Salad is a Southern classic! It features fruit, whipped cream, a creamy sauce, and fresh flavors. Serve it as a side dish, dessert, sweet treat, or fun snack. Everyone who tries it loves it!
- 2 cups canned pineapple chunks, drained
- 2 cups mandarin orange segments, drained
- 2 cups sweetened shredded coconut
- 1 cup miniature marshmallows
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup whipped cream or whipped topping
- 1 cup maraschino cherries, drained and halved
- Optional: chopped nuts (e.g., pecans, walnuts) for garnish
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the drained pineapple chunks, mandarin orange segments, sweetened shredded coconut, miniature marshmallows, and halved maraschino cherries. Gently toss the ingredients together.
- Add the sour cream to the bowl and fold it into the fruit mixture until well combined.
- In a separate bowl, whip the whipped cream until it forms soft peaks. If using whipped topping, you can skip this step and proceed to the next.
- Then, gently fold the whipped cream into the fruit mixture, ensuring that it is evenly incorporated.
- Transfer the ambrosia salad to a serving bowl or individual serving dishes.
- Optional: Sprinkle chopped nuts over the top of the salad as a garnish.
- Refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving to allow the flavors to meld and the salad to chill.
- Finally, serve the ambrosia salad chilled. Enjoy it as a refreshing and sweet side dish or dessert!
- This recipe is very forgiving and can be mixed and matched.
- Feel free to replace the whipped cream with cool whip.
- Use colorful mini marshmallows for a fun option.
- Store leftovers in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Keywords: ambrosia salad, fruit, whipped cream, no bake, dessert, Southern, classic