Delicious and simple baked chickpea patties with sweet potato fries and a creamy yogurt sauce. Perfect for everyone in the fam!
For the chickpea patties:
- Olive oil
- 1 slice whole wheat bread, toasted
- 1 (15 oz) can chickpeas/garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 2 teaspoons dried dill weed
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons mashed cooked peas
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- Pinch of salt and pepper
For the yogurt sauce:
- 1 (6 oz) container plain Greek yogurt
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- Pinch red pepper flakes
For the sweet potato oven fries:
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and cut into small 1/2-inch wide sticks
- Olive oil and curry powder
- Heat oven to 400°F. Lightly brush a baking sheet with olive oil.
- In a food processor, pulse toasted wheat bread to a fine crumb. Measure out 2 tablespoons into a small bowl; discard remaining breadcrumbs or save for another use.
- Add 3/4 cup chickpeas and green onions to food processor; pulse until finely chopped. Add to small bowl with breadcrumbs along with dill weed and lemon juice; stir to combine.
- Add remaining chickpeas, mashed peas, cumin and a pinch of salt and pepper to food processor; process until smooth (add a splash of olive oil if needed to make sure mixture is smooth and not dry). Add to small bowl with chickpea-onion mixture and stir until well combined.
- Form mixture into 12 small patties, each about 1/2-inch thick. Place on prepared baking sheet. Lightly brush tops of patties with olive oil. Bake 15 to 20 minutes, flipping patties halfway through until golden brown and baked through.
- Meanwhile, make the yogurt sauce: In a small bowl, combine yogurt, garlic, curry powder and red pepper flakes. Serve with patties.
- To make the sweet potato oven fries: Heat oven to 450 degrees F. Toss sweet potato sticks with a little olive oil and a dash or two of curry powder; spread in one layer on a baking sheet. Bake on a rack in lower third of oven 20 minutes, then transfer sheet to a rack in upper third of oven for 7 to 10 minutes, until fries are baked through and crisp on the outside.
The patties also freeze really well in an airtight container for up to 2 months, so feel free to double or triple the recipe to keep some on hand.
Keywords: freezer friendly falafel, baby led weaning, curry sweet potato fries