- 1 1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 1/3 cups warm water (110–115 degrees F), divided
- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 cups bread flour (or more all-purpose flour)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/3 cup sun-dried tomatoes in olive oil, drained, chopped and patted dry
- 1/3 cup pitted kalamata olives, quartered and patted dry
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- Olive oil, for brushing
- In a large bowl or bowl of a stand mixer, combine yeast, sugar and 1/3 cup warm water. Let sit 10 minutes until foamy (if it doesn’t foam up, discard and try again).
- Add remaining 1 cup water, all-purpose flour, cornmeal, 1 1/2 cups bread flour and the salt; stir to form a dough.
- Knead dough on a lightly floured surface 10 minutes, adding more flour as needed to make a smooth, soft, elastic and only slightly sticky dough OR knead 5 minutes in stand mixer with dough hook attachment on medium speed, adding more flour as needed to make a smooth, soft, elastic and only slightly sticky dough.
- By hand, carefully knead in sun-dried tomatoes, olives and basil until evenly distributed throughout dough. Shape dough into a ball and place in a large, lightly oiled bowl; turn to coat. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place 1 to 1 1/2 hours until doubled.
- When dough is doubled, line a baking sheet with parchment paper and sprinkle lightly with flour. Punch down dough and transfer to baking sheet.
- Gently pat dough into a 10-by-8-inch oval. Fold one long side up and over to the center; press edge into center of dough to adhere. Fold other long side up and over to the center; press edge into center of dough to adhere. Pinch and press ends of dough to form points (so the dough almost looks like a large football).
- Cover with lightly greased plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place 45 minutes to 1 hour until doubled.
- Heat oven to 400 degrees F. Uncover dough and brush lightly with oil. Bake 30 to 40 minutes until loaf is golden brown and sounds hollow when tapped on the bottom. Transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely before slicing.