For the chipotle lime crema:
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 chipotle chile from a can of chipotles in adobo sauce
- Zest and juice of 1/2 lime
For the quesadillas:
- 1/2 cup mashed cooked butternut squash
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- 1 1/2 teaspoons taco seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon lime juice
- 2 teaspoons olive or vegetable oil
- 2 flour tortillas
- 1/4 cup canned (rinsed and drained) black beans
- 1/4 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- To make the chipotle lime crema: Process all of the ingredients in a food processor until smooth. Adjust to taste, if needed (add more chipotle chiles, more garlic, maybe a dash of salt, etc.). Set aside to thicken up slightly.
- Meanwhile, make the quesadillas: In a small bowl, combine the butternut squash, cilantro, taco seasoning and lime juice. Adjust to taste, if needed.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, heat the oil. Place one tortilla in the skillet; spread the butternut squash mixture on top. Top with the black beans, then sprinkle with the cheese (go ahead; you can add extra cheese if you want). Top with the second tortilla. Cook 3 to 5 minutes on one side until the bottom tortilla is golden brown and crispy. Carefully flip the quesadilla over and cook another 3 to 4 minutes on the other side until the bottom tortilla is golden brown and crispy and the cheese is melted.
- Cut the quesadilla into wedges; serve with the crema on the side or spooned on top, along with extra cilantro and/or other toppings like salsa or diced tomatoes, sliced jalapenos and guacamole.