A delicious twist on traditional sweet potato pie, this dessert is made with a sweet graham cracker crust, two layers of pudding (one chocolate, one sweet potato) and a whipped topping to finish it off. Trust me — this pie won’t last long at the table.
For the graham cracker crust:
- 12 full sheets graham crackers (about 1 1/2 cups crushed)
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
For the pie:
- 3/4 lb sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar, divided
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 4 oz cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons dark rum (optional)
- 4 oz bittersweet chocolate bar, roughly chopped OR 3/4 cup bittersweet chocolate chips
- 2 cups whipped cream or whipped topping
- First, make the pie crust: Heat oven to 350°F. In a food processor, pulse graham cracker sheets until finely crushed. Transfer to a small bowl; stir in 1/3 cup sugar and butter until mixture resembles coarse sand.
- Use hands or the bottom of a drinking glass to press mixture evenly and firmly into bottom and sides of a 9-inch round pie plate. Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until crust is golden brown and just set. Set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, make the pie filling: Add cubed sweet potatoes to a small saucepan. Add just enough cold water to cover potatoes. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer over medium-low heat 15 minutes or until potatoes are fork-tender. Drain, then transfer potatoes to a clean food processor. Process potatoes until very smooth.
- In a medium bowl, whisk egg yolks with 1/4 cup sugar. In a small saucepan over medium-high heat, whisk together remaining 1/4 cup sugar with milk and cornstarch. Cook 4 to 5 minutes, whisking constantly, until mixture bubbles and begins to thicken. Whisk half of milk mixture into yolk mixture in bowl, then whisk yolk mixture into remaining milk mixture in pan. Continue to cook over medium heat 2 to 3 minutes, whisking constantly, until pudding boils and thickens considerably. Remove from heat; whisk in cream cheese and rum, if desired.
- Place chocolate in a small, microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on High 1 minute; stir. Continue to microwave on High in 15-second increments until chocolate is fully melted and smooth. Stir 3/4 cup pudding into melted chocolate until well combined. Pour chocolate pudding into pie crust; spread evenly into bottom. Chill in refrigerator 1 hour or until set.
- Stir remaining pudding into sweet potato puree; cover and chill until chocolate layer is set. Spread sweet potato pudding over chocolate pudding in pie crust. Cover pie loosely with plastic wrap, then chill at least 8 hours or overnight.
- Top pie with whipped cream just before serving. Store leftovers covered in refrigerator for up to 2 days.
- Recipe adapted from Sweet Potatoes by Mary-Frances Heck.
- The rum is totally optional, but it does make the pie taste that much more sophisticated!
- Short on time, ingredients or energy? Feel free to use a premade graham cracker pie crust for this recipe.
- Swap the whipped cream for a mixture of 1 cup whipped topping + 1 cup marshmallow fluff for extra flavor.
Keywords: sweet potato pudding, chocolate pudding, graham cracker crust, sweet potato pie, black bottom pie