Delicious overnight breakfast brioche French toast casserole with blueberries and an oat topping.
For the casserole:
- 1 loaf classic brioche loaf bread, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 pint (2 cups) fresh blueberries, divided
- 5 eggs
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup applesauce
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons almond extract
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
For the oat topping:
- 1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Pinch salt
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- Arrange brioche bread cubes in 13×9-inch pan in single layer. Top with 1 1/2 cups blueberries.
- In large bowl, whisk eggs, milk, applesauce, maple syrup, almond extract, cinnamon and nutmeg. Pour mixture evenly over bread and blueberries in baking dish. Cover with plastic wrap; refrigerate 8 hours or overnight.
- The next day, heat oven to 350°F. In medium bowl, stir oat topping ingredients until well combined. Sprinkle evenly over top of bread mixture in pan. Top with remaining 1/2 cup blueberries.
- Bake 45 minutes to 1 hour until mixture is baked through (you’ll know it’s done if you make a small cut in the center of the casserole and no egg mixture leaks through). If top of casserole gets too brown during baking, cover with foil halfway through.
- Serve warm with a sprinkle of powdered sugar, a drizzle of maple syrup and more fresh blueberries, if desired.
Keywords: brioche breakfast casserole, overnight French toast bake, blueberry French toast, oat topping