Simple, sweet and oh-so-satisfying, these classic cereal bars feature nutty brown butter and chopped cream-filled chocolate cookies in every ooey-gooey bite.
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
- 10 cups (20 oz) marshmallows, mini or regular-size
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 8 cups crispy rice cereal (such as Rice Krispies)
- 3 cups coarsely chopped Oreo cookies (about 22 whole cookies)
- Line a 13×9-inch pan with foil. Spray foil with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, melt butter. Continue to cook melted butter, stirring constantly, until brown bits begin to emerge and the butter turns a light amber color and smells nutty, about 3 to 4 minutes. Add marshmallows; stir mixture until marshmallows are mostly melted. Stir in vanilla and salt.
- Add cereal and chopped Oreos; stir gently until mixture is well-combined. Pour, spread and press mixture evenly into prepared baking pan. Cool completely, about 30 minutes. Use foil to remove bars from pan; use a sharp knife to cut into bars.
- Bars are best served the day they are made, but can be stored tightly covered at room temperature for up to 3 days.
- Recipe adapted from Mel’s Kitchen Cafe.
Keywords: marshmallow cereal bars, brown butter cereal bars, rice crispy treats, rice krispie bars, Oreo bars, cookies and cream