- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup old-fashioned oats
- 3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup M&Ms candies, plus more for topping cookies
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. In bowl of electric stand mixer or in large mixing bowl with electric hand mixer, cream butter and sugar on medium speed 3 minutes until pale and fluffy. Beat in vanilla, then egg. Beat in peanut butter until just combined.
- In separate large bowl, whisk or sift together flour, cocoa powder and baking soda. Add flour mixture to butter mixture and stir on low speed until just combined. Stir in oats, M&Ms and chocolate chips just until combined. Cover bowl with plastic wrap; refrigerate dough 30 minutes to make it easier to shape.
- Line a large cookie sheet with parchment paper. Scoop and roll dough into 24-26 balls; place 2 inches apart on cookie sheet. Flatten each ball slightly (dough won’t spread that much so this helps them bake into a classic cookie shape). Gently press a few more M&Ms into tops of cookies, if desired. Bake 10-12 minutes. Let cookies cool 5 minutes on cookie sheet before transferring to cooling rack to cool completely.