- 1 cup Bob’s Red Mill unbleached white all-purpose organic flour
- 1 cup Bob’s Red Mill 100% stone ground whole wheat organic flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups packed light brown sugar
- 2 cups Bob’s Red Mill rolled oats
- 14 ounces (about 1 3/4 cup) caramels (unwrapped) or caramel bits
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
- 1/4 cup chopped hazelnuts or pecans, toasted
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly spray a 13-by-9-inch baking pan with cooking or baking spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk flours, baking soda and salt to combine.
- In a separate large bowl using an electric hand mixer or in the bowl of a stand mixer, cream butter and sugar on medium speed 2 minutes until light and fluffy. Reduce speed to low and stir in flour mixture until just combined. Stir in rolled oats.
- Press half of mixture firmly and evenly into bottom of prepared pan. Bake 10 minutes to set.
- Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan or skillet over medium-low heat, heat caramels and heavy cream. Stir constantly 5 to 7 minutes until mixture is fully melted and smooth. Remove from heat and allow to cool while dough is baking.
- Scatter chocolate chips and chopped nuts evenly over par-baked dough. Pour caramel sauce evenly over the top (use a spatula if needed to spread the caramel sauce). Sprinkle evenly with remaining dough.
- Bake 15 to 20 minutes until top is lightly browned and baked through. Cool completely on a cooling rack, then cover and chill at least 2 hours before cutting into bars.