Delicious sweet-tart cherry pie bars made with a fresh cherry filling, buttery lattice crust and sparkling sugar topping. Top with a dollop of whipped cream and dig into the ultimate summer dessert.
- 2 boxes (14.1 oz each) refrigerated pie crusts, softened as directed on box
- 3 1/2 lbs fresh sweet cherries, pitted
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 egg + 2 tablespoons milk (for egg wash)
- Sparkling sugar, for topping
- Whipped cream or whipped topping, thawed, for topping (optional)
- Heat oven to 425°F. On a lightly floured surface, stack two pie crusts on top of each other. Using a rolling pin, roll out crusts into one large rectangle, approximately 13×18 inches. Transfer to a 15x10x1-inch jelly roll sheet pan; press into bottom and sides.
- Meanwhile, add cherries to a large bowl. In a separate small bowl, whisk sugar and cornstarch until combined. Add to cherries along with lemon zest, lemon juice and vanilla. Stir to combine.
- On a lightly floured surface, stack and roll remaining two pie crusts to a 13×18-inch rectangle. Using a pastry wheel, pizza cutter or sharp knife, cut dough lengthwise into 3/4-inch strips. Arrange half of strips diagonally on top of pie approximately 1 inch apart. Fold back every other strip to a little past center. Place another long strip of dough perpendicular to other strips on top of pie, meeting right at the end of the folded strips in the center of the pie. Fold over the strips on top of the perpendicular strip; then, fold back alternating strips of dough in the same fashion as before. Lay another dough strip perpendicular as before, then fold strips back over. Repeat this process across top of pie until entire top of pie is covered in a lattice design (you may have a few pieces of pie crust left over). Gently press edges of crust together to seal. Use scissors or a knife to trim pie crust edges.
- In a small bowl, whisk egg and milk to make an egg wash. Gently brush egg wash over pie dough. Sprinkle with sparkling sugar.
- Bake pie 50-60 minutes, rotating halfway through and covering pie crust edges with foil if getting too brown, until filling is broken down and starting to bubble and pie crust is golden. Cool completely on a cooling rack before slicing, about 1 hour.
- Use a sharp serrated knife to slice pie into bars. Serve with whipped cream, if desired.
- Store bars covered at room temperature up to 3 days.
- If using frozen cherries, let cherries thaw to room temperature before using.
Keywords: fresh cherry pie filling, lattice crust, lattice top, slab pie, sheet pan pie