These soft and chewy sugar cookies are simply the BEST. Exceedingly tender on the inside with a crisp edge, every bite is perfectly sweet and soft with a delicate crunch from sparkling sugar. If you’re looking for a sugar cookie that stands out on its own, this is it!
- 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2 cups granulated sugar, divided
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- Sparkling sugar, for topping (optional)
- In a large bowl, whisk flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt until well combined.
- In a separate large bowl (using an electric hand mixer) or in the bowl of a stand mixer with paddle attachment, cream butter and 1 1/2 cups sugar on medium speed 3-4 minutes until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla.
- Slowly stir in dry ingredients just until a dough forms. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate dough 1 hour.
- Heat oven to 350F. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Add remaining 1/2 cup sugar to a small bowl. Scoop and roll chilled dough into balls about 1 to 1 1/2 inches in diameter (about 1-2 tablespoons each). Roll each dough ball in sugar, then transfer to cookie sheet, spacing cookies about 2 inches apart (the dough balls might not all fit on one sheet; refrigerate whatever doesn’t fit until you’re ready to bake the second batch).
- Bake 9-11 minutes until cookies are just set in the centers and lightly golden on the edges. Remove cookies from oven; immediately sprinkle tops with sparkling sugar, if desired. Cool 5 minutes on baking sheet, then carefully transfer with a spatula to cooling rack to cool completely.
- Store in an airtight container at room temperature up to 5 days.
- Freeze fully baked and cooled cookies in an airtight container up to 3 months.
- You can store cookie dough in the refrigerator up to 24 hours before baking.
Keywords: sugar cookie dough, large sugar cookies, Christmas sugar cookies