These homemade chocolate cake pops are so fun! They taste like cake and frosting in every bite. These bite-sized treats are perfect for any occasion. Make them for birthdays, holidays, Christmas, Valentine’s Day, and more!
- 1 chocolate cake (9×13-inch size), baked and cooled
- 1 cup chocolate frosting
- 1 package (12 ounces) chocolate candy melts or chocolate chips
- Lollipop sticks
- Sprinkles, chopped nuts, or other desired decorations (optional)
- Crumble the cooled chocolate cake into a large mixing bowl using your hands or a fork, ensuring there are no large chunks remaining.
- Add the chocolate frosting to the crumbled cake. Mix until well combined. The mixture should be moist and able to hold its shape when rolled into balls.
- Take small portions of the cake mixture and roll them into smooth balls, about 1 inch in diameter. Place the cake balls on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Insert a lollipop stick into each cake ball, pushing it about halfway through. Place the baking sheet with the cake pops in the refrigerator for about 1 hour to firm up.
- While the cake pops are chilling, melt the chocolate candy melts or chocolate chips in a microwave-safe bowl. Stir until smooth and fully melted.
- Remove the cake pops from the refrigerator. Then, dip each cake pop into the melted chocolate, gently swirling and tapping off any excess chocolate. If desired, decorate the cake pops with sprinkles, chopped nuts, or other decorations while the chocolate is still wet.
- Stick the cake pops upright into a foam block or a cake pop stand to allow the chocolate to set completely. Or, place the cake pops back on the parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Repeat the dipping and decorating process with the remaining cake pops.
- Feel free to use any flavor of cake. Vanilla, marbled, lemon, and red velvet are great for this recipe.
- Likewise, use any flavor frosting. These double chocolate cake pops use both chocolate cake and chocolate frosting.
- Feel free to experiment with the flavors.
- Allow the cake pops to firm up before dipping in melted chocolate coating.
- The sprinkles and other decorations are totally optional.
- Store cake pops in the fridge for up to 5 days.
- Freeze for up to 1 month.
- Use this Cake Pop Kit!
Keywords: cake pops, chocolate cake pops, chocolate, frosting, cake, baking, dessert