- 2 1/4 teaspoons (1 packet) active dry yeast
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 1/2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 1 1/4 cups warm water (110 to 115 degrees F)
- 2 cups bread flour, plus more for kneading
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup Bob’s Red Mill Old Country Style Muesli, divided
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Egg wash (1 egg beaten with 1 teaspoon water)
- In small bowl, combine yeast and sugar. Add 1/2 cup warm water. Let sit 5 to 10 minutes until foamy.
- Meanwhile, in large bowl or bowl of stand mixer, stir flours and salt to combine. Pour in yeast mixture and another 1/2 cup warm water. Stir, adding just enough of remaining 1/4 cup water until dough forms.
- Transfer dough to lightly floured surface. Knead dough by hand 10 to 15 minutes until smooth, firm and elastic; OR, knead dough in stand mixer with dough hook on medium speed 5 minutes until dough is smooth, firm and elastic. Knead in or stir in 1/2 cup muesli and chocolate chips just until incorporated.
- Shape dough into ball and place in large, lightly greased bowl; turn to coat. Cover with plastic wrap or tea towel and let rise in warm place 1 hour until doubled.
- Punch down risen dough; let rest 10 minutes. Meanwhile, fill large, wide pot two-thirds full with water. Heat water to just below simmer. Heat oven to 425 degrees F, and line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Divide dough into 8 equal pieces. Shape each piece into smooth ball. Use fingers to poke hole in center of each ball, stretching each hole until it is as big as half the diameter of entire bagel (it might look too big at first, but it will shrink when you boil/bake it). Place bagels on prepared baking sheet. Cover with damp towel or lightly greased plastic wrap and let rest 10 minutes.
- Once bagels have rested, use slotted spoon to lower a few bagels at a time into simmering water. Allow bagels to float to top. Leave bagels in water 1 to 2 minutes, then flip over and leave in water another 1 to 2 minutes (the longer they stay in the water, the chewier they become).
- Remove bagels with slotted spoon and return to prepared baking sheet. Repeat with remaining bagels.
- Brush tops of bagels with egg wash, then sprinkle remaining 1/2 cup muesli over top. Bake 15 to 20 minutes until bagels are golden brown. Remove from oven; transfer to cooling rack to cool completely before slicing.