These homemade chocolate cupcakes are incredibly rich, decadent, and intense! They feature a moist and fluffy crumb and creamy chocolate buttercream frosting. These cupcakes are great for birthdays, celebrations, holidays, and more!
For the cupcakes:
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup boiling water
For the chocolate buttercream frosting:
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 3 to 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup milk (add more if needed)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C). Line a muffin tin with cupcake liners.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, beat the eggs, granulated sugar, vegetable oil, and vanilla extract until well combined.
- Gradually add the dry ingredients to the egg mixture, alternating with the milk. Begin and end with the dry ingredients, mixing just until combined after each addition.
- Stir in the boiling water until the batter is smooth. The batter will be thin.
- Pour the batter into the cupcake liners, filling each about two-thirds full.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 18 to 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a cupcake comes out clean.
- Remove the cupcakes from the oven and let them cool in the muffin tin for about 5 minutes. Then, transfer them to a wire rack to cool completely before frosting.
- Then, make the chocolate buttercream frosting. In a large mixing bowl, beat the softened butter until creamy and smooth.
- Gradually add the powdered sugar and cocoa powder, about 1 cup at a time, mixing well after each addition.
- Add the milk, one tablespoon at a time, until the desired consistency is reached. Stir in the vanilla extract and mix until well combined.
- Once the cupcakes have cooled, frost them with the chocolate buttercream frosting using a piping bag or spatula.
- If desired, decorate the cupcakes with sprinkles, chocolate shavings, or any desired toppings.
- Lastly, serve and enjoy these delicious Chocolate Cupcakes!
- If needed, use gluten-free 1 to 1 flour instead of all-purpose flour.
- Do not overmix the cupcake batter.
- Fill each muffin cavity about two-thirds full.
- Do not bake for too long! Insert a toothpick into the center of a cupcake. If it comes out clean, the cupcakes are done baking.
- Use a stand mixer or hand mixer for the frosting. Do not mix with a spatula by hand.
- If the frosting is too thin, add more powdered sugar.
- If the frosting is too thick, add slightly more milk slowly.
- Only frost fully cooled cupcakes. Otherwise, the frosting will melt.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
- For freezing, store the cupcakes and frosting separately if possible. Otherwise, freeze fully frosted cupcakes for up to 1 month.
Keywords: chocolate cupcakes, cupcakes, chocolate, baking, dessert, buttercream frosting