For the dough:
- 2 1/4 teaspoons (1 packet) active dry yeast
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup warm 2% milk (about 110–115 degrees F)
- 3 eggs, room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened, cubed
For the egg wash:
- 1 egg
- Generous pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon water
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine yeast, sugar and milk until yeast is dissolved. Let stand 7-10 minutes until mixture is foamy.
- Whisk in eggs. Attach paddle attachment to stand mixer. Add salt and 2 cups flour to stand mixer bowl; stir on low speed about 2 minutes until sticky dough forms. Increase speed to medium and add butter, one cube at a time. Add remaining 2 tablespoons flour. Mix on medium speed 2 minutes more until dough is smooth and elastic.
- Stop mixing. Cover stand mixer bowl with plastic wrap or tea towel. Let dough sit 15 minutes. Mix on medium speed 5 minutes more. Dough will be stickier than usual, but don’t worry. Use spatula to transfer dough to lightly greased large bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise in warm, draft-free place for 1 hour.
- Punch down risen dough. Fold into thirds (like a business letter), then return to greased bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight or up to 12 hours.
- Grease bottom and sides of 9×5-inch loaf pan. Punch down chilled dough and divide into 5 equal portions. Gently press each piece of dough into 5-inch square. Roll up each square into log, and place seam-side down in loaf pan. Cover with plastic wrap or tea towel and let dough rise 1 1/2 to 2 hours until dough just reaches top of pan. Meanwhile, heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Prepare egg wash: In small bowl, whisk egg wash ingredients until smooth. Gently brush risen dough with egg wash. Bake bread 35-40 minutes, rotating halfway through baking, until crust is deep golden brown. Cool bread in pan on cooling rack 10 minutes, then remove from pan and cool completely on cooling rack.