Homemade “Drumsticks” ice cream cones made with chocolate magic shell, cookies and cream ice cream, crushed Oreo cookies and waffle cones!
- 6 waffle cones
- 2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons neutral-flavored oil (such as canola or grapeseed)
- 1 1/2 quarts cookies and cream ice cream
- 6 Oreo cookies, finely crushed (about 1/2 cup)*
- Place cones in short drinking glasses or Mason jars so they stand upright. Transfer cones to freezer.
- In a small saucepan over medium-low heat, stir chocolate chips until melted and smooth. Stir in oil, then transfer mixture to a small shallow bowl.
- Remove ice cream from freezer to soften slightly; remove cones from freezer, too. Spoon and drizzle about 2 teaspoons melted chocolate into bottom of each cone. Return cones to freezer to harden chocolate, about 5 to 7 minutes.
- Once chocolate is just set, remove 1-2 cones at a time from freezer. Quickly and carefully spoon and spread ice cream into each cone; use an offset spatula to press and spread ice cream all the way to the top of each cone. Use an ice cream scoop to place one scoop on top of each cone; smooth out top scoop and fill in edges with more ice cream as needed. Return cones in glasses to freezer. Allow cones to harden for about 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, place crushed Oreo cookies into a small shallow bowl.
- Once ice cream is hardened, dip each cone, one at a time, into melted chocolate; allow as much excess chocolate to drip off as possible while still keeping top of cone completely covered (you can use a silicone pastry brush to help with this, if needed). Dip and roll chocolate-covered cone into crushed cookies to coat, then return to drinking glass to stand upright. Return to freezer. Repeat with remaining cones, then allow all cones to freeze at least 30 minutes before serving.
- Store cones in freezer, covered in plastic wrap, up to 2 days.
- *I recommend using a food processor to crush Oreo cookies into fine crumbs.
- Recipe adapted from The Kitchn.
- You can swap the waffle cones for sugar cones, if desired; note that you’ll need to make more drumsticks if you use sugar cones, since they’re smaller, to use up all ingredients listed above. I do not recommend using wafer/cake cones for this recipe, since they’ll soften too much in the freezer.
Keywords: chocolate magic shell, Oreo ice cream