- 2 1/4 teaspoons (1 packet) active dry yeast
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 1/2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 1 1/4 cups warm water (110 to 115 degrees F)
- 2 cups bread flour, plus more for kneading
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 3/4 cup dried cranberries
- 3/4 cup chopped raw walnuts, toasted
- In a small bowl, combine yeast and sugar. Add 1/2 cup warm water. Let sit 5 to 10 minutes until foamy.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl or bowl of a stand mixer, stir flours and salt to combine. Pour in yeast mixture and another 1/2 cup warm water. Stir, adding just enough of remaining 1/4 cup water until a dough forms. Stir in dried cranberries and walnuts.
- Transfer dough to a lightly floured surface. Knead in any extra dried cranberries and walnuts that didn’t get stirred into dough. Knead dough by hand 10 to 15 minutes until smooth, soft and elastic (the windowpane test, which I mention here, works really well to know if it’s fully kneaded).
- Shape dough into a ball and place in a large, lightly greased bowl; turn to coat. Cover with plastic wrap or a tea towel and let rise in a warm place 1 hour until doubled.
- Punch down risen dough; let rest 10 minutes. Meanwhile, fill a large, wide pot two-thirds full with water. Heat water to just below a simmer. Heat oven to 425 degrees F, and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone mat.
- Divide dough into 8 equal pieces. Shape each piece into a smooth ball. Use fingers to poke a hole in center of each ball, stretching each hole until it is as big as half the diameter of entire bagel (it might look too big at first, but it will shrink when you boil/bake it). Place bagels on prepared baking sheet. Cover with a damp towel or lightly greased plastic wrap and let rest 10 minutes.
- Once bagels have rested, use a slotted spoon to lower a few bagels at a time into simmering water. Allow bagels to float to top. Leave bagels in water 1 to 2 minutes, then flip over and leave in water another 1 to 2 minutes (the longer they stay in the water, the chewier they become). Remove bagels with slotted spoon and return to prepared baking sheet. Repeat with remaining bagels.
- Bake until golden brown, about 15 to 20 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool completely on a cooling rack before slicing.