- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium white or yellow onion, finely chopped
- 2 cups vegetable or beef broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 bunch broccoli, florets roughly chopped and stems peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and roughly chopped
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Grated white cheddar cheese, for topping (optional)
- Crusty, grainy bread, for dipping (optional)
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add chopped onion and cook until soft and lightly golden, about 6 to 8 minutes.
- Add broth, water, broccoli, sweet potato and salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to a simmer. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, 20 to 25 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Use an immersion blender to puree the soup, or transfer to a blender and blend in batches. Season with more salt and pepper, if desired.
- Serve topped with grated cheese and slices of bread, if desired.