For the roasted garlic:
- 12 cloves garlic, unpeeled
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon water
For the chili:
- 3 Anaheim chile peppers
- 8 shallots, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 teaspoons minced garlic
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 8 cups vegetable broth, divided
- 4 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1 (15 oz) can navy beans, undrained
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 (10 oz) box frozen chopped spinach, thawed
- 3/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- Sour cream, chopped fresh parsley and/or shredded cheese, for garnish (optional)
- Toss garlic, oil and water in a small microwave-safe bowl. Cover with plastic wrap, leaving a small vent, and microwave 1 1/2 minutes until soft. Cover completely and let cool.
- Meanwhile, place an oven rack near the top of the oven, then heat the broiler. Line a broiler pan with foil. Place chile peppers on foil and roast 10 minutes, turning occasionally, until charred.
- Transfer peppers to a bowl; cover with plastic wrap and let sit until cool.
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-low heat. Add chopped shallots and cook 15 to 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until caramelized.
- Add minced garlic and cook 2 minutes; add flour and stir 3 minutes until toasted. Increase the heat to high and add 1 cup broth. Simmer 2 minutes, scraping up any brown bits from the bottom of the pan. Add another 6 cups broth, the cooked chicken, chili powder, cayenne pepper, navy beans and salt and pepper to taste.
- Peel, seed and chop roasted peppers; add to saucepan.
- Remove pulp from roasted garlic cloves and place in a food processor. Add remaining 1 cup broth and process until smooth. Add to saucepan.
- Simmer chili, uncovered, 25 minutes until thickened. Add spinach; cook another 5 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in smoked paprika, heavy cream and salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with sour cream, chopped fresh parsley and/or shredded cheese on top, if desired.