For the chocolate cinnamon cookies:
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for rolling dough
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup ground cinnamon
- Pinch salt
- 12 tablespoons (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1/4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
For the icing:
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons milk
- Skittles candies, sprinkles (jimmies and nonpareils), candy corn, M&Ms candies, cinnamon hearts, candy-coated sunflower seeds, licorice, etc.
- In medium bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa powder, cinnamon and salt until well combined.
- In large bowl, beat butter and powdered sugar on medium speed 1 minute until pale and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla. Stir in flour mixture until just combined.
- Shape dough into disc, then wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate at least 1 hour.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. On lightly floured surface, roll out dough to 1/8-inch thickness. Use oval, egg or skull-shaped cookie cutter to cut dough into shapes. Space cookies 2 inches apart on parchment paper-lined baking sheets. Refrigerate until firm, about 15 minutes.
- Bake cookies 8 to 10 minutes until crisp and set. Transfer to cooling rack to cool completely.
- To make icing: In small bowl, stir powdered sugar and milk until well combined. Transfer to quart-size resealable plastic bag. Snip off one end.
- Outline cookie edges with icing, leaving small border. Fill in center with more icing, using toothpick to spread out icing.
- Decorate cookies with assorted candies, sprinkles, etc.
Keywords: Halloween, Dia de los Muertos