- 4 1/2 cups bread flour
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 1/4 teaspoons (1 packet) instant yeast
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 egg
- 1 3/4 cups milk
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Semolina or farina, for sprinkling on the griddle
- In a large bowl or bowl of a stand mixer, add flour, sugar, yeast, salt and egg (do not stir).
- Combine milk and butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat; stir and heat until an instant read thermometer reads between 110 and 115 degrees F. Remove from heat.
- Pour milk mixture into bowl; stir just until a dough forms. Use dough hook attachment to knead dough in stand mixer 5 minutes until dough is smooth, soft, elastic and pulls away from the sides of the bowl; OR, turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead by hand 10 minutes until dough is smooth, soft and elastic.
- Shape dough into a ball and place in a lightly oiled large bowl; turn to coat. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and let dough rise in a warm place 1 hour until doubled.
- Meanwhile, lightly spray a griddle or large pan (or two) with cooking spray, then sprinkle generously with semolina or farina. Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Punch down risen dough; divide into 16 equal pieces. Gently shape each piece into a ball; press down to a 3 to 3 1/2-inch diameter. Place dough pieces on prepared griddle or pan about 1 inch apart (depending on the size of your griddle/pan, they will not all fit. Place the extras on a baking sheet sprinkled with semolina or farina, and cover with a sheet of parchment paper).
- Turn on griddle to low heat (about 275 degrees F) or place pan over low heat on stovetop. Cook muffins 7 to 15 minutes each side until deep golden brown. If muffins puff up too much during cooking (and they probably will), cover them with a sheet of parchment paper and place a baking sheet on top to act as a weight. The muffins are cooked through when an instant read thermometer inserted in the center reads about 200 degrees F.
- If the muffins are sufficiently browned on both sides but are still not fully cooked in the center, place them on a clean baking sheet and transfer to the preheated oven for about 10 minutes.
- Repeat the whole cooking/baking process (steps 7 and 8) with remaining dough.
- Cool muffins completely. Use a fork to gently pry muffins open, so you get all the nooks and crannies.