For the biscuits:
- 1 lb pork sausage
- 3 cups Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free 1-To-1 Baking Flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) chilled unsalted butter, cubed
- 8 ounces shredded Gruyere cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh sage
- 1 1/4 cups buttermilk, divided
For the gravy:
- 4 tablespoons pork sausage drippings (or unsalted butter)
- 3 tablespoons Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free 1-To-1 Baking Flour
- 2 cups milk
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- To make the biscuits: In a large skillet over medium-high heat, cook and crumble the pork sausage 10 minutes until browned and cooked through. Drain, reserving the drippings. Cool the sausage completely before adding to the biscuits.
- Heat oven to 425 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda until combined. Using a pastry blender or your fingers, cut in the cold butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs and the butter pieces are the size of small peas. Stir in the fully cooled sausage, shredded cheese and chopped sage.
- Slowly pour in 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons of the buttermilk and stir with a wooden spoon or spatula just until a dough begins to come together. Turn the dough out onto a countertop and knead just until a cohesive ball forms. Pat the ball into a 1-inch thick rectangle. Use a sharp knife to cut the dough into 12 square biscuits.
- Transfer the biscuits to the prepared baking sheet, spacing them at least 1 inch apart. Bake 20 to 25 minutes until golden brown.
- Meanwhile, make the gravy: Return the sausage drippings to the skillet over medium heat (add the butter as needed to make 4 tablespoons total). When the drippings/butter are melted, whisk in the flour. Slowly add in the milk, whisking constantly. Cook 5 minutes until thickened. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Immediately serve the warm gravy over the biscuits.