- 2 small vine-ripened tomatoes, diced
- 1 shallot, minced (or 3 tablespoons minced white onion)
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped cilantro leaves
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 medium-heat hatch green chiles, thawed, stemmed, seeded and chopped (or 2 serrano chile peppers, stemmed, seeded and chopped)
- 1 green or red jalapeno pepper, stemmed, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup (4 oz) shredded mild cheddar cheese
- 1 cup (4 oz) shredded pepper jack cheese
- Tortilla chips, for serving
- In a small bowl, lightly toss tomatoes, 1 tablespoon of the minced shallot and half of the cilantro.
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, melt butter. Add remaining minced shallot, chopped hatch chiles, chopped jalapeno pepper and salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, 3 to 4 minutes until shallot is softened.
- Add flour; stir and cook 1 minute until fully mixed in and absorbed. Stir in milk. Simmer 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until mixture begins to thicken.
- Stir in shredded cheeses until smooth; remove from heat. Stir in remaining chopped cilantro.
- Pour dip into a serving bowl; spoon tomato mixture on top. Serve with tortilla chips.