For the tarts:
- 2 cups plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour, plus more for rolling
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 cup (2 sticks) cold unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 4 to 5 tablespoons ice water
- 1/2 cup strawberry jam or preserves
- Pink and red sprinkles, for topping (optional)
For the icing:
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
- In food processor, pulse flour, salt and sugar until combined. Add butter and pulse until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add 4 tablespoons water; process just until dough forms (if dough doesn’t form, add remaining 1 tablespoon water).
- Divide dough in half. Shape each half into 5-inch round disks. Cover disks tightly with plastic wrap and chill for 1 hour.
- Line rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. Unwrap 1 dough disk. On lightly floured surface, roll out dough to 1/4-inch thick. Use large heart-shaped cookie cutter to cut dough. Transfer hearts to baking sheet. Re-roll scraps once to cut more hearts, if desired.
- Spoon and spread scant tablespoon jam on top of each heart, leaving 1/2-inch border around edges. Unwrap second dough disk, roll out and cut into hearts. Place hearts on top of jam-topped hearts on baking sheet, gently pressing seam with fingers to seal. Use fork tines to seal seams, then poke top of each heart 3 to 4 times. Cover hearts with plastic wrap and freeze 2 hours or up to 1 week.
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F. Uncover hearts and bake 20 to 25 minutes until crust is baked through and lightly golden. Cool completely before icing.
- To make icing, mix powdered sugar with 1 tablespoon milk and vanilla. Add remaining tablespoon milk if needed to make smooth but thick icing. Spread icing over fully cooled hearts, leaving 1/2-inch border around edges. Top with red and pink sprinkles, if desired. Let icing set at room temperature.