- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted, plus more for greasing pan
- 1 1/2 cups finely ground yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 3 eggs
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons chopped fresh herbs (such as rosemary, thyme, oregano, basil, sage, chives, parsley, etc.)
- Heat oven to 400 degrees F. Grease bottom and sides of 8-inch square pan with butter.
- In large bowl, whisk cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and baking soda until combined. In medium bowl, whisk melted butter, buttermilk and eggs until combined. Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients; stir until just combined.
- Stir in chopped fresh herbs. Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake 25 to 30 minutes until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan on cooling rack 20 minutes before serving.