For the bread:
- 2 1/4 teaspoon (1 packet) active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water (about 110–115 degrees F)
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon granulated sugar, divided
- 2 1/2 to 2 3/4 cups bread flour
- 1/4 cup minced fresh basil
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 can (10 oz) condensed tomato soup
- 4 tablespoons tomato paste, divided
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
For the dressing:
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- Hot sauce, to taste (optional)
For the sandwich toppings:
- 1 vine-ripened tomato, thinly sliced
- 4 to 8 romaine lettuce leaves, cut in half
- 8 slices cooked bacon
- 8 slices deli turkey
- 4 slices smoked Gouda cheese
- In a small bowl, whisk yeast, water and 1 teaspoon sugar until yeast is dissolved. Let stand 5 minutes until yeast is foamy.
- In a large bowl or bowl of a stand mixer, add 2 cups flour. Make a well in center; add yeast mixture, remaining 1 tablespoon sugar, basil, Parmesan cheese, tomato soup, 2 tablespoons tomato paste, olive oil and salt. Stir with a wooden spoon or dough hook until just combined. Stir in enough remaining flour until dough forms.
- On a well-floured surface or in bowl of a stand mixer with dough hook on medium speed, knead dough until smooth and elastic (about 10 minutes by hand, 5 minutes in stand mixer), adding more flour as needed so dough is no longer sticky. Shape dough into a ball; place in a large, lightly greased bowl. Turn to coat. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and let rise in warm place 1 hour until doubled.
- Punch dough risen dough; knead briefly, then shape into a ball and flatten slightly into a round shape. Place on a lightly greased rimmed cookie sheet. Cover with a thin towel and let rise 45 minutes to 1 hour until doubled.
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F. Using a sharp serrated knife, slice an X into top of loaf. Brush with cold water. Bake 30 minutes. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, stir remaining 2 tablespoons tomato paste, brown sugar and 2 teaspoons of water until mixture is thick but brushable. Brush coating all over top of loaf. Return to oven to 5 to 10 minutes until baked through and coating is mostly dried. Cool loaf on a cooling rack 20 to 30 minutes before slicing.
- While loaf cools, make the sandwich dressing: In a small bowl, stir all ingredients until combined. Prepare sandwich toppings.
- Slice loaf into 1/2-inch thick slices. Assemble sandwiches with sandwich dressing, then tomato, lettuce, bacon, turkey and Gouda cheese.