- 1/2 cup Bob’s Red Mill Wheat Germ
- 2 cups Bob’s Red Mill Organic Whole Wheat Pastry Flour
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for kneading
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) cold unsalted butter, cut into small cubes
- 2 cups buttermilk
- Heat oven to 400 degrees F. Generously butter bottom and sides of a 9-inch cake pan.
- In a small skillet over medium heat, stir wheat germ until lightly brown and toasted. Let cool slightly, then transfer to a large bowl along with flours, sugar, salt, baking soda and cream of tartar. Use a fork to combine ingredients.
- Add butter to bowl and use a pastry blender, two knives or your fingertips to cut butter into mixture until it resembles a coarse meal. Make a well in center and pour in buttermilk. Use a wooden spoon or spatula to stir until a dough forms.
- Transfer dough to a lightly floured surface. Knead dough 3 to 4 minutes until smooth, adding just enough flour so dough is no longer sticky.
- Shape dough into a ball and gently press evenly all the way to edges of cake pan. Use a sharp serrated knife to cut a 1/2-inch deep X in center of dough. Bake 30 to 40 minutes until dough is golden brown and a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool 15 minutes in pan, then carefully transfer bread to a cooling rack to cool completely.