- 2 1/4 cups Bob’s Red Mill organic Ivory Wheat flour, plus more for shaping
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 sticks (12 tablespoons) unsalted butter — 10 tablespoons chilled and cubed, 2 tablespoons melted
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- 1 cup cold buttermilk
- Coarse sea salt, for sprinkling (optional)
- Arrange oven rack in lower third of oven. Heat oven to 425 degrees F.
- In large bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda, sugar and salt to combine. Add chilled, cubed butter and, using pastry blender or 2 knives, cut butter into flour mixture until butter is size of small peas. Stir in lemon zest and poppy seeds. Stir in buttermilk until mixture is just moistened.
- Turn out dough onto lightly floured surface. Very gently knead dough 2 to 3 times just until it comes together. Pat dough into roughly 1/2-inch-tall square. Cut into 16 2 1/4-inch squares. Transfer to baking sheet. Brush with melted butter and sprinkle with sea salt, if desired. Chill in refrigerator 10 minutes.
- Bake biscuits 18 to 20 minutes until puffed and golden brown. Serve warm.