These soft, moist and fluffy lemon poppy seed muffins are bursting with fresh lemon flavor, sprinkled throughout with poppy seeds and topped with coarse sugar for a sweet crunch. You can’t go wrong with these bakery-style treats made at home!
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 to 3 tablespoons poppy seeds*
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups plain whole milk yogurt (NOT Greek yogurt)
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon zest
- 2 eggs
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 2 tablespoons coarse sparkling sugar, for topping
- Heat oven to 375°F. Line 12 standard muffin cups with paper baking liners.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, poppy seeds, baking powder, baking soda and salt until well combined. In a separate medium bowl, whisk yogurt, lemon juice, lemon zest and eggs until well combined. Whisk in butter until combined.
- Gently stir wet ingredients into dry ingredients with a spatula until just combined (do not overmix, or the muffins will end up tough).
- Divide batter evenly among prepared muffin cups (the batter will be thick, and the cups will be quite full). Top batter evenly with coarse sugar.
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until tops of muffins are golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center of one muffin comes out clean. Cool muffins in muffin tin 5 minutes, then transfer to cooling rack to cool completely.
- Store muffins covered in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 4 days.
- Recipe adapted from A Kitchen Addiction.
- For clean, even scoops of batter in each muffin cup, use a cookie scoop.
- *If you’re a big fan of the flavor and crunch of poppy seeds, use up to 3 tablespoons in this recipe!
- Do not use Greek yogurt for this recipe; it’s too thick and the muffins will be too tough and dense once baked.
Keywords: lemon muffins, bakery style muffins