For the dough:
- 1/3 cup milk
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
- 2 1/2 cups plus 2 tablespoons unbleached all-purpose flour, plus more for shaping
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 1/4 teaspoons (1 packet) active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
For the filling:
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons Meyer lemon zest (from about 3 small lemons)
- Zest of 1 orange
- 3 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
For the glaze:
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons Meyer lemon juice
- In a small saucepan, heat milk and butter until butter is just melted. Remove from heat; cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl or bowl of a stand mixer, whisk together flour, sugar and yeast.
- Whisk water, eggs and vanilla into milk mixture until combined. Pour over flour mixture in bowl. Add salt. Stir until a dough forms.
- Knead dough by hand on a lightly floured surface 5 to 6 minutes, adding more flour as needed until dough is smooth and elastic; OR, knead dough with dough hook attachment in stand mixer 3 to 4 minutes, adding more flour as needed until dough is smooth and elastic.
- Transfer dough to a lightly greased bowl; turn to coat. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place 1 to 2 hours until doubled. Punch down dough; chill in fridge overnight, covered.
- The next morning, make the filling: Combine sugar, lemon zest, orange zest and poppy seeds in a small bowl. Grease a 9-inch springform pan; line the bottom with parchment paper.
- Roll out dough on a lightly floured surface to a 20-by-10-inch rectangle. Brush with melted butter, then sprinkle filling on top. Roll up from the long end tightly into a log. Slice the log into 12 equal rolls.
- Place the rolls evenly, cut-side up, in prepared pan. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise 1 to 1 1/2 hours until doubled.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Bake rolls 30 to 35 minutes until golden brown. Transfer to a wire rack; cool 10 minutes. Whisk together glaze ingredients and drizzle over warm rolls. Serve rolls warm or room temperature.