For the filling:
- 2 firm tart-sweet apples (such as Haralson or Honeycrisp), peeled and sliced
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- Pinch salt
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
For the topping:
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons chopped walnuts
- 2 1/2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- Pinch salt
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray inside of four 8-ounce oven-safe bowls or ramekins with cooking spray (or, spray 8-inch square pan for 1 big crisp).
- In large bowl, stir sliced apples, sugars, cinnamon, ginger and salt until well combined. Divide mixture evenly among prepared bowls. In separate medium bowl using electric hand mixer, beat cream cheese, egg and vanilla until smooth. Spoon mixture evenly on top of apple mixture in bowls.
- In separate medium bowl, use fingers or pastry blender to combine all topping ingredients until well mixed. Sprinkle mixture evenly among bowls. Place bowls on rimmed baking sheet or baking stone.
- Bake crisps 35 to 40 minutes until topping is golden brown and mixture begins to bubble around edges (NOTE: bake time may vary if using 8-inch pan). Cool slightly before serving.