For the mocha rub:
- 2 tablespoons smoked paprika
- 1 packet (.09 oz) espresso powder (or 2 tablespoons finely ground coffee beans)
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
For the beef:
- 1 packet (.09 oz) espresso powder dissolved in 1 cup hot water, or 1 cup strong brewed coffee
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1/2 yellow onion, chopped
- 6 dried figs or pitted dates, chopped
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 lb chuck tender roast
- Chopped fresh parsley, for topping (optional)
- In small bowl, whisk mocha rub ingredients until well combined. Set aside.
- In food processor or blender, puree espresso-water mixture, beef broth, chopped onion, chopped figs and balsamic vinegar until mixture is mostly smooth. Pour into 6-quart slow cooker. Place roast in center of slow cooker. Rub mocha rub generously and evenly all over roast (you may have some rub left over).
- Cover and cook roast on low 4 to 6 hours until meat thermometer inserted in center reads 160. Transfer roast to cutting board. Use two forks to shred beef. Transfer to serving plate.
- Pour liquid left in slow cooker into medium saucepan. Bring to boil over medium-high heat. Continue to boil 5 minutes, whisking constantly, until mixture thickens slightly. Pour over shredded beef. Top with chopped parsley just before serving, if desired.
Keywords: Crockpot, Crock Pot