Not your mom’s egg casserole — a hearty strata-like egg bake made with breakfast sausage, fresh kale, melted cheese and crusty bread — from “The Minimalist Kitchen” cookbook.
For the sausage mixture:
- 1 lb breakfast pork sausage
- 4 cups chopped kale
- 4 cups cubed or torn crusty bread (such as ciabatta, sourdough, baguette, etc.)
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
For the egg mixture:
- 2 cups whole milk
- 6 eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
For the garnish:
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- The night before serving, assemble the casserole. In a large cast-iron skillet, cook and crumble sausage over medium-high until browned and cooked through. Add chopped kale; stir and cook 2 minutes. Transfer sausage-kale mixture to 13×9-inch baking dish. Add cubed bread and shredded cheese; toss with tongs to combine.
- In medium bowl, whisk milk, eggs, salt and pepper until combined. Pour evenly over sausage mixture in baking dish. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight (at least 8 hours).
- The next morning, heat oven to 350 degrees F. Bake 35 to 40 minutes until eggs are set. Garnish with fresh thyme.