For the crust:
- 3 1/2 ounces walnuts, finely chopped
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
For the filling:
- 2 envelopes (1/4 ounce each) unflavored gelatin
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 6 cups fresh cranberries
- 1 3/4 cups to 2 cups sugar, to taste
- 1 cup red currant jelly
- 2 tablespoons cognac
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Make the crust: In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine walnuts, butter, sugar, flour, salt, yolk, and vanilla. Beat until well combined. Firmly press into the bottom and up the sides of an 11-by-8-inch fluted tart pan with a removable bottom. Freeze until firm, about 30 minutes. Bake until edges are set and golden, about 40 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool completely on a wire rack.
- Make the filling: Sprinkle gelatin over water in a small bowl; let stand until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Combine cranberries, sugar, jelly, and cognac in a saucepan and cook over low heat until cranberries are soft but not bursting, 12 to 15 minutes. Do not overcook or the mixture will become too watery. Remove from heat and let cool slightly. Stir in gelatin mixture and let cool completely.
- Pour cranberry filling into cooled tart shell and chill for at least 1 hour before serving.