Soft and fluffy pancakes made with oats, chocolate chips and warm spices — every forkful is like eating cookies for breakfast!
- 1 egg
- 1 cup buttermilk*
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 2 teaspoons maple syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- pinch nutmeg
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Extra chocolate chips, butter and maple syrup for topping (optional)
- In a large bowl, beat eggs well. Whisk in buttermilk, butter, maple syrup and vanilla.
- In a separate large bowl, whisk flour, oats, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg until well combined.
- Slowly whisk dry ingredients into wet ingredients until just combined. Let batter rest 10 minutes to thicken.
- Meanwhile, heat a griddle or large nonstick pan over medium heat. Once heated, brush lightly with butter, oil or cooking spray.
- Stir chocolate chips into batter. Pour a scant 1/4-cup batter for each pancake onto hot greased griddle (leave at least 2 inches of space between pancakes on a griddle). Cook on the first side until edges are dry and bubbles form, about 2 minutes. Flip and cook on second side until cooked through and golden brown on both sides. Transfer to a plate.** Repeat with remaining batter, stirring batter between cooking batches so chocolate chips and oats don’t sink to the bottom.
- Serve warm pancakes with extra chocolate chips, butter and maple syrup, if desired.
- *Don’t have buttermilk on hand? You can easily make a buttermilk substitute by adding 1 tablespoon lemon juice or vinegar to a measuring cup, then filling the cup to the 1-cup line with milk. Let the mixture stand for 5 minutes before using.
- **To keep pancakes warm while you’re cooking the rest of the batter, place the pancakes on a baking sheet or heatproof plate in a 200°F oven.
Keywords: oatmeal cookie pancakes, chocolate chip pancakes, oatmeal pancakes, chocolate chip oatmeal cookie