- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 cup (4 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 teaspoons peppermint extract
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 6 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Red and green food coloring (gel or liquid)
- 1 egg white beaten with 1 tablespoon water (for egg wash)
- Sparkling sugar, for topping (optional)
- In very large bowl, cream sugar and butter until light and fluffy. Add milk, vanilla, peppermint extract and eggs; stir to combine. Add flour, baking powder and salt. Stir until just combined.
- Divide dough into 6 equal pieces; place each piece in separate small bowl. Dye 1 piece light green, another piece slightly darker green and another even darker green. Dye another piece light red, another piece slightly dark red and another even darker red.* Shape each piece into 7-by-7-inch square; wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 4 hours.
- Unwrap chilled dough and place on lightly floured surface. Starting with lightest red dough, brush top of dough square lightly with water. Top with slightly darker red dough, lining up edges. Press down slightly to adhere dough. Brush top of dough square lightly with water, then top with darkest red dough, lining up edges. Press down lightly to adhere dough. Cut dough in half, then brush top of one half with water. Top with other half, lining up edges, and press down firmly to approximately 4-inch tall rectangle. Wrap dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate 30 minutes. Repeat with green dough.
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Unwrap chilled dough and place on lightly floured surface. Using sharp knife, trim edges of both dough rectangles so edges are completely straight. From red dough, cut 1/2-inch strip lengthwise. Lay flat and cut into 1/2-inch strips/rectangles widthwise. Place cookies 2 inches apart on prepared baking sheets. Repeat with green dough. (Discard trimmed dough pieces or shape into spirals and bake with cookies.)
- Chill cookies in fridge 20 minutes or freezer 10 minutes, then brush tops with egg wash. Sprinkle with sparkling sugar, if desired. Bake 13 to 15 minutes until edges are set. Cool on baking sheet 5 minutes, then transfer to cooling rack to cool completely. If desired, trim edges of fully cooled cookies for straight edges.
- *NOTE: To dye each piece of dough, I used a stand mixer with the paddle attachment and beat the dye into the dough, working from lightest to darkest shades, cleaning the bowl and the paddle between red and green colors.