- 2 cups water
- 1 cup uncooked, semi-pearled farro (I used Bob’s Red Mill brand)
- 1/2 large red onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 10 ounces grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 1/4 teaspoons sea salt
- Pinch red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, plus more for drizzling (optional)
- Fresh basil leaves, cut into thin ribbons
- Crumbled feta cheese, for serving
- In a medium saucepan, combine water and farro. Let farro soak up to 10 minutes while you prepare remaining ingredients.
- Add sliced onion, chopped garlic, halved grape tomatoes, sea salt, red pepper flakes and olive oil to saucepan. Set a timer for 30 minutes. Bring mixture to a boil, uncovered, then reduce heat to a simmer. Cook uncovered, stirring occasionally, until timer goes off. If the mixture is still too wet or the farro is too crunchy, cook another 3 to 4 minutes. Season to taste.
- Transfer farro mixture to a serving bowl. Top with a drizzle of olive oil, if desired. Sprinkle with fresh basil leaf ribbons and crumbled feta cheese just before serving.