Perfectly fluffy and sweet overnight cinnamon rolls with a delicious homemade cream cheese frosting. Make these for your next weekend breakfast.
For the dough:
- 4 egg yolks, room temperature
- 1 whole egg, room temperature
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 3/4 cup buttermilk, room temperature
- 4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour, plus more for shaping
- 2 1/4 teaspoons (1 package) instant dry yeast (not rapid rise)
- 1 teaspoon salt
For the filling:
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- Pinch salt
- 1 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
For the cream cheese frosting:
- 4 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- In large bowl or bowl of stand mixer fitted with whisk attachment, whisk egg yolks, whole egg, sugar, 6 tablespoons butter and buttermilk. Add 2 cups flour along with yeast and salt; whisk until just combined. Replace whisk attachment with dough hook and add 3/4 cup flour. Knead on low speed 5 minutes (alternatively, knead dough on floured surface for 10 minutes). Add more flour as needed until dough is soft and moist but not sticky. Continue to knead in stand mixer 5 minutes (5-10 minutes by hand) until dough no longer sticks to sides of bowl.
- Lightly spray large bowl with cooking spray. Shape dough into ball and place in bowl; turn to coat with oil. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and let rise in warm place 2 to 2 1/2 hours until doubled.
- Meanwhile, make filling: In medium bowl, combine brown sugar, cinnamon and salt until well mixed.
- Grease bottom and sides of 13×9-inch baking dish with butter. Punch down dough; turn out onto lightly floured surface and gently shape into rectangle, long side facing you. Use rolling pin to roll into approximately 18×12-inch rectangle. Brush 1 1/2 tablespoons melted butter over dough to within 1/2-inch of top long edge. Sprinkle filling mixture over dough, then gently press into dough.
- Beginning with long end nearest you, carefully roll dough into tight log. Firmly pinch seam to seal and turn so seam side is down. Using serrated knife, cut dough into 12 equal-size rolls (about 1 1/2 inches each). Arrange cut side-down in prepared baking dish. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight (8 hours) up to 16 hours.
- When ready to bake, remove rolls from refrigerator and place in oven that is turned off. Place shallow pan on rack just beneath rolls; add enough boiling water to pan to fill 2/3-full. Immediately close oven door and let rolls steam 30 minutes until puffy. Remove rolls and shallow pan from oven.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Return rolls to oven and bake 30 to 35 minutes until deep golden brown.
- While rolls are cooling, make frosting: In medium bowl, beat cream cheese, butter, vanilla and powdered sugar with electric hand mixer or in bowl of stand mixer until smooth and creamy. Spread over warm rolls and serve immediately.
Keywords: alton brown cinnamon rolls, cream cheese frosting