- 2 1/4 teaspoons (1 packet) Red Star active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water (about 110 to 115 degrees F)
- 1/2 cup warm milk (about 110 to 115 degrees F)
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons pesto, divided
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 3 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese, plus more for topping
- 5 ounces shredded Asiago cheese
- Chopped fresh basil leaves, for topping
- In a large bowl or bowl of a stand mixer, combine yeast and warm water. Let sit 5 to 10 minutes until yeast dissolves.
- Meanwhile, in a separate large bowl, whisk warm milk, 2 tablespoons pesto, sugar, 1 tablespoon olive oil, salt and egg until combined.
- Add pesto mixture to yeast mixture; stir to combine. Add 3 cups flour and Parmesan cheese; stir until a dough forms.
- Use dough hook on low speed to knead dough 8 to 10 minutes, adding just enough of remaining flour 1 tablespoon at a time until a smooth, soft and only slightly sticky dough forms (it should pull away from sides of bowl) OR, knead dough by hand on a floured surface 10 to 12 minutes, adding just enough of remaining flour 1 tablespoon at a time until a smooth, soft and only slightly sticky dough forms (it should no longer stick to your hands like gum).
- Shape dough into a ball and place in a large bowl (the stand mixer bowl is fine); cover with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place 1 to 1 1/2 hours until doubled.
- Meanwhile, brush bottom and sides of a 12-inch cast-iron or other oven-safe skillet with 2 tablespoons olive oil. Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Punch down dough and divide into 12 equal pieces. Roll each piece into a ball, then space evenly in oiled skillet. Sprinkle shredded Asiago cheese between rolls, then spoon remaining 1/4 cup pesto between rolls. Brush tops of rolls with remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil. Cover skillet with plastic wrap and let rise 30 minutes until rolls are puffy and nearly doubled.
- Uncover rolls and bake 30 minutes until tops of rolls are golden brown. Sprinkle with grated Parmesan cheese and chopped fresh basil. Serve warm.