This homemade pizza dough recipe is so simple and straightforward! It yields a soft crust with a perfect texture and flavor. Add your favorite toppings and you can have restaurant quality pizza at home!
- 2 1/4 tsp (1 packet) active dry yeast
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 1/4 cups warm water (around 110°F or 43°C)
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- In a small bowl, combine the yeast, sugar, and warm water. Stir gently and let it sit for about 5 minutes until the yeast is foamy.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour and salt. Make a well in the center and pour in the yeast mixture and olive oil.
- Stir the ingredients together with a spoon until a shaggy dough forms.
- Transfer the dough to a lightly floured surface and knead for about 5 to 7 minutes, until the dough becomes smooth and elastic. Add more flour if the dough is too sticky.
- Shape the dough into a ball and place it in a lightly oiled bowl, turning the dough to coat it with oil. Cover the bowl with a clean kitchen towel or plastic wrap.
- Let the dough rise in a warm, draft-free area for about 1 to 2 hours or until it doubles in size. You can place this in the oven with the light turned on (oven turned off).
- Once the dough has risen, punch it down to release the air. Turn it out onto a floured surface and divide it into the desired number of portions, depending on the size of the pizzas you want to make. This recipe yields enough for 2 medium-sized pizzas.
- Take one portion of the dough and shape it into a round ball. Using a rolling pin or your hands, flatten and stretch the dough into your desired pizza shape. Repeat with the remaining dough portions.
- Place the shaped dough onto a pizza stone or baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- At this point, you can add your favorite pizza toppings: tomato sauce, cheese, vegetables, meats, herbs, etc.
- Preheat your oven to the highest temperature setting (usually around 475°F or 245°C) and place a pizza stone or baking sheet in the oven while it preheats.
- Once the oven is preheated, carefully transfer the topped pizza onto the preheated stone or baking sheet.
- Bake the pizza in the preheated oven for about 12 to 15 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown and the cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Remove the pizza from the oven and let it cool for a few minutes before slicing and serving.
- Use warm water, but not hot water. You do not want to kill the yeast.
- Allow the dough to rise long enough until it doubles in size.
- I like to place the covered dough in the oven with the light on. The oven is off, but the slight heat from the light helps the rising process.
- This recipe makes 2 medium-sized pizzas. Feel free to make 1 large one or 4 smaller ones.
- Store leftover pizza in the fridge for up to 4 days.
- The nutrition facts are for half of this recipe, or 1 medium-sized crust.
Keywords: pizza dough recipe, pizza dough, pizza, dough, dinner, yeast