- 1 3/4 cups warm water (100 to 110 degrees F)
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 1/4 teaspoons (1 packet) active dry yeast
- 2 tablespoons instant coffee or espresso powder
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 4 1/2 cups bread flour, divided
- 1 cup dark rye flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup toasted chopped walnuts
- 3/4 cup raisins
- 1 egg white
- 3 tablespoons water
- Heat oven to 200 degrees F.
- In a large bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer, combine water, sugar and yeast. Stir until yeast dissolves. Let stand 5 to 10 minutes until foamy.
- Add instant coffee, molasses, 4 cups bread flour, rye flour, salt, walnuts and raisins to the bowl. Stir with a wooden spoon or dough hook attachment on low speed until just combined.
- Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead 10 to 15 minutes, adding remaining bread flour if necessary to develop a smooth, elastic and slightly sticky dough OR knead with dough hook attachment on medium speed 5 minutes, adding remaining bread flour if necessary to develop a smooth, elastic and slightly sticky dough.
- Shape dough into a 9-by-5-inch oval and place on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Cover with a tea towel. Turn off oven and place baking sheet on center rack. Let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Remove bread from oven and heat oven to 375 degrees F. Whisk together egg white and water; brush loaf with egg wash. Use a serrated knife to cut three 1/4-inch-deep slits in the top of the loaf.
- Bake bread 35 to 40 minutes until deep brown and an instant-read thermometer registers 200 degrees F in the center of the loaf. Transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely.