These classic red velvet cupcakes are so tasty and sweet! You will fall in love with the moist cake and velvety smooth frosting. These are great for Valentine’s Day, birthdays, holidays, and every special occasion!
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- Pinch tsp salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp red food coloring (gel or liquid)
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup cream cheese
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C) and line a muffin tin with cupcake liners.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the all-purpose flour, granulated sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt until well combined.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, apple cider vinegar, vanilla extract, and red food coloring.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir until the batter is smooth and well combined. Be careful not to overmix.
- Divide the batter evenly among the cupcake liners, filling each one about almost 3/4 full.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 17 to 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a cupcake comes out clean.
- Remove the cupcakes from the oven and let them cool in the muffin tin for a few minutes. Then transfer them to a cooling rack to cool completely.
- While the cupcakes are cooling, prepare the frosting. In a mixing bowl, beat the powdered sugar, softened butter, cream cheese, and vanilla extract together until smooth and creamy.
- Once the cupcakes have cooled completely, frost them with the cream cheese frosting using a piping bag or a spatula.
- If desired, you can decorate the cupcakes with sprinkles or grated chocolate.
- Serve and enjoy these delicious red velvet cupcakes!
- The buttermilk is key in achieving the classic red velvet flavor. Do not replace.
- Mix the cupcake batter until just combined. Do not mix too much.
- Use the toothpick test to see if the cupcakes are done baking. Once inserted, if it comes out clean or with only moist crumbs, the cupcakes are done!
- Beat together the frosting until smooth and creamy.
- Allow the cupcakes to cool before piping on the frosting.
- Store in the fridge for up to 4 days.
Keywords: red velvet cupcakes, red velvet, cupcakes, dessert, baking, cream cheese frosting, frosting