- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened and cubed
- 1 cup light brown sugar (not packed)
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup molasses (rich taste or robust)
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- In a large bowl, whisk flour, cinnamon, ginger, baking soda, cloves and salt to combine. In a separate large bowl using electric hand mixer or in bowl of a stand mixer with paddle attachment, beat butter and brown sugar on high speed 2 minutes until smooth and light. On low speed, stir in egg, then molasses, then milk. Mixture will be slightly lumpy; this is OK.
- Slowly stir dry ingredients into wet ingredients until just combined. Cover bowl and refrigerate dough 1 hour up to overnight.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Shape dough into 1-inch balls; roll each ball in granulated sugar, then in powdered sugar, until well-coated. Transfer to prepared baking sheet, spacing dough at least 2 inches apart.
- Bake 9 to 11 minutes until edges of cookies are just set. Cool cookies 5 minutes on baking sheets, then transfer to cooling rack to cool completely.
Keywords: Christmas, Holiday