- 3 lbs beets, trimmed, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1/4 cup olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 1/4 cup fresh-squeezed orange juice (from about 1 small orange)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 medium shallot, cut in half lengthwise and thinly sliced
- 4 oranges, peel and pith removed, sliced into supremes or thick half-moons
- 1/4 cup shelled, salted pistachios
- 1 cup (4 ounces) crumbled feta cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh chives
- Ground black pepper, to taste
- Heat oven to 425 degrees F with a rack in center of oven.
- In a large bowl, toss cubed beets with olive oil, orange juice and salt; transfer to a rimmed sheet pan and spread in an even layer.
- Roast 30 minutes, shaking and rotating pan halfway through baking, until beets are softened and are starting to caramelize.
- Sprinkle shallots over beets and return to oven. Roast 15 minutes until shallots are golden brown and beets are fork-tender.
- Transfer beet-shallot mixture to a large bowl; while still warm, toss with oranges, pistachios, feta cheese and chives to combine. Drizzle with extra olive oil and sprinkle with ground black pepper.
- Serve warm, room temperature or chilled. Salad keeps stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days.