A satisfying and super-easy way to get dinner on the table! This one-dish sheet pan shakshuka combines a spiced tomato sauce with peppers, onions, potatoes and soft eggs with a sprinkle of tangy feta cheese for a meat-free meal worthy of any night of the week.
- 2 pints grape tomatoes, 1 pints’ worth of tomatoes cut in half*
- 4 to 5 small Yukon Gold potatoes, sliced into 1/4-inch rounds
- 2 red, yellow or orange bell peppers, thinly sliced
- 1 large yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Pinch cayenne pepper or red pepper flakes (optional)
- 2 cups marinara sauce
- 8 eggs
- 1 cup crumbled feta cheese
- Parsley or cilantro, for topping
- Heat oven to 375°F. On a half sheet pan, toss tomatoes, potatoes, bell peppers and onions with olive oil, garlic, cumin, paprika, salt, pepper and cayenne pepper (if using). Arrange in a single layer on pan and roast on center rack of oven, stirring once or twice, 35 to 40 minutes until veggies are tender and beginning to brown.
- Spoon 1 cup marinara sauce evenly over roasted veggies in pan. Using the back of a wooden spoon, make 8 indents into sauce-veggie mixture, evenly spaced on sheet pan. Crack a whole egg into each indent. Gently spoon remaining 1 cup marinara sauce on and around eggs and veggies, then sprinkle with feta cheese.
- Bake 15 to 20 minutes more until egg whites are set. Sprinkle with parsley or cilantro, and more salt and pepper if desired, and serve immediately.
- *My favorite results came from leaving one pint of grape tomatoes whole — to burst slightly and then shrivel as they roasted on the sheet pan — and cut each tomato from the second pint in half, so their juices would mingle with the veggies and marinara sauce as everything baked. If you find this tedious, feel free to leave both pints of tomatoes whole.
- Use a high-quality marinara sauce for this recipe, since it lends so much of the flavor to the overall dish. This brand is my favorite.
Keywords: baked shakshuka, sheet pan eggs in purgatory, baked eggs and veggies