- 1 1/2 cups (about 6 oz) shredded smoked Gouda cheese
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened and cut into quarters
- 3/4 cup unbleached all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In the bowl of a food processor, pulse together shredded cheese, butter, flour, salt and red pepper flakes until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add cream and process 10 to 20 seconds until a dough ball forms.
- Unroll a piece of parchment paper (big enough to fit a baking sheet) on a countertop and lightly dust with flour. Roll out dough to an 8-by-10-inch rectangle about 1/4-inch thick.
- Using a sharp knife or pizza cutter, slice dough into thin strips about 1/4-inch wide. Dust off excess flour and carefully transfer dough, on parchment paper, to a baking sheet. Line another baking sheet with parchment paper. Divide strips between baking sheets, setting them about 1/4-inch apart on the sheets.
- Bake 15 minutes until straws are slightly puffy and lightly golden on the ends. Transfer baking sheets to cooling racks to cool straws completely.
- Serve cheese straws at room temperature.